You and your partner have legally registered your civil partnership when you have signed a legal document, known as the civil partnership schedule, or a licence if one of you is seriously ill – see under heading Special rules for people who are seriously ill. You will also have to give the register office certain personal details. a simple administrative process called a 'standard' conversion, a two stage process where the conversion may be followed by a ceremony, evidence of your name and date of birth, for example, current passports or birth certificates, evidence of your address, for example, recent Council Tax or utilities bill, your original civil partnership certificate, religious buildings that are registered for the marriage of same sex couples where a ceremony is to immediately follow the conversion, premises where a ceremony according to the Jewish faith of the Society of Friends is to immediately follow the conversion. Read what we're saying about a range of issues. If your civil partnership was registered in England, Wales or Northern Ireland you don’t need to end it or convert it to a marriage. But the opposite didn't become true - mixed-sex couples didn't get the right to a civil partnership. Thank you, your feedback has been submitted. You cannot apply to bring a civil partnership legally to an end until it has lasted for at least one year. Is there anything wrong with this page? They hope the Government will ‘act with urgency’ for the sake of thousands of couples across the country, the couple said. Opposite-sex civil partners can’t convert their civil partnership to a marriage. You will need to do this even if you are going to register your civil partnership somewhere else. To register a civil partnership, you and your partner must sign a civil partnership document in front of two witnesses and a registrar. You will need to give the following evidence: A legal declaration will be drawn up for you both to sign with the registrar. For further information, please contact, For further details about our expertise in this area, please Click Here. What the Government sought was ‘tolerance of the discrimination while it sorts out how to deal with it’ he said.. You can check with your register office what to do next - find your nearest register office on GOV.UK. A civil partnership is a legal relationship which can be registered by two people of the same sex. Most civil partnership ceremonies are not allowed. This is to give an opportunity for objections to be made. The 28-day waiting period can also be waived in some circumstances where one of you has acquired a different gender - see under heading Special rules if one of you has acquired a different gender. If this is the case, you can apply to a court for permission to register your civil partnership. This will be in the area in which both of you live and the area where you're going to register, if this is different. If you can, it’s best to convert your civil partnership to a marriage before applying for a gender recognition certificate. Civil partnerships are available to both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples. This is because opposite-sex civil partnerships aren’t recognised in Scotland. That's what's now set to change. Anywhere that has been approved to hold civil marriages automatically has approval to register civil partnerships. Is this a great step forward in the law for unmarried heterosexual couples? Ms Steinfeld said: ‘Today we are a step closer to opening civil partnerships to all, a measure that would be fair, popular and good for families and children across the country. Also, only one of you will need to give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership to the register office. Extending the civil partnership legislation does not benefit those couples. The Government said it was decided, after public consultations and debate in Parliament, not to extend civil partnerships to opposite-sex couples, abolish them or phase them out at that stage. At one point it was suggested that civil partnerships would be abolished once same sex couples were allowed to marry but that did not happen. Advice for people affected by child abuse. Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help. A person who wants to change their legal gender can do this by obtaining a gender recognition certificate.